Festa da Pinha
Popular traditional festival with parade on May 2 from Estoi to Ludo and return
Date (Time): Monday, 02 May 2016 (08:00)
Every year at the beginning of May the people of Estoi celebrate a very special festival, „Festa da Pinha”, meaning festival of the pine cone. Nobody has yet been able to explain to us the origin of this old tradition. The procession from Estoi to Ludo, near Almancil and back, on May 2 is the spectacular highlight of this event.
The participants, who traditionally dress in black trousers, white shirts and red neckerchiefs, get together at the racecourse in Estoi – horsemen, horse-drawn carriages, tractors and lorries, all beautifully decorated with flowers. At the end of the day the best decorations in each of these categories will win a prize.
The spectacular procession starts at around 9:30 with the crowds chanting “Viva a Pinha”, and passes the parish church, where a large crowd already awaits them, and the bells ring out as they pass. The next stop is Santa Barbara de Nexe, and from there the procession continues its way in the direction of Almancil to Ludo near the Laranjal golf course. There a huge barbecue takes place for hours, before the cavalcade returns in the evening to Estoi.
On the way back the procession tends to be less well organized, so that the time table can get delayed. Meanwhile back in Estoi young and old alike party in front of the church beginning in the early hours of the evening. A huge crowd of spectators line the main road, expecting the arrival of the torchlight procession shortly before midnight.
- 8.00 h - Convention of the participants of the procession
- 9.30 h - Blessing and departure to Ludo
- 12.00 h - Arrival in Ludo and Lunch
- 18.00 h - Start of procession back to Estoi
- 18.30 h - Opening of the market for art handicraft
- 20.00 h - Parade passing Sta. Bárbara de Nexe
- 21.00 h - Musical entertainment in Estoi
- 21.30 h - Stop of the procession in Coiro da Burra
- 22.00 h - Continuation of the procession to Estoi
- 23.30 h - Arrival in Estoi with musical entertainment by Valter Cabrita